- Respect your parents because no matter how many times you complain about them, they’re the one’s who have stayed by your side.
- Love yourself. I mean really, really love yourself. If someone calls you self-centered for being proud of yourself bend over and tell them to kiss your ass. You’re beautiful and no one should ever get the chance to make you think otherwise.
- You don’t need anyone’s permission to do what makes you happy. Go out and buy yourself dinner. Or expensive lingerie. Or concert tickets. Do what makes you happy and screw everyone else because at the end of the day it’s not about them, it’s about you.
- Take care of your mental health before you even think about trying to help others. I’ve built myself up too many times just to watch myself crumble over someone else’s loss. For once fucking take care of yourself, you deserve it. I promise you do.
- Surround yourself with good vibes. Life is too short for fake friends and mediocre conversation. If your friends don’t make your presence felt, leave. If your boss doesn’t treat you with dignity and respect, respect yourself and quit. Don’t waste your time and energy on people who won’t give you the time of day.
- There is a difference between being alone and being lonely. Don’t confuse yourself with the two. Alone time is good for the soul, but no one deserves to be lonely. If you see someone eating lunch alone, go sit with them. If you see a girl crying in the bathroom help her fix her make-up.
- Smile at strangers. It’s the little things that go a long way. You don’t know what anyone is going through. You never know what kind of day someone is having, and although you may never see that person again a smile can lighten their mood. You could be the difference in their day.
- Life always wins. Always. It’s gonna rough you up and it’s gonna be hard but you’re gonna be able to get through it. It’s gonna be hard to handle at times, but I believe in you. I believe you can fight back harder. You’re a survivor and if no one else believes you can do it, remember that I do. I believe in you. Believe in yourself.
- Love who you want, not who you’re told to. Don’t you ever give up on love because you’re scared. If you’re lucky enough to find love don’t you dare walk away from it because of someone’s close-minded opinion. Love is the most beautiful thing, it’s the closest thing we have to magic
- Relationships are scary. When you’re with someone you’re either going to marry them, or break up there’s no in between. Don’t give your heart away to just anyone, but don’t push everyone away either. Don’t let your past failed relationships control your future. Above all else, guard your heart.
- You don’t need to be saved. You don’t need a boy to sweep you off your feet. You don’t need to get in a girl’s pants to mend your broken heart. At the end of the day it’s only you, be your own hero. You can do it.
- You’re going to meet a lot of people, people you didn’t expect to meet and people you wish you hadn’t met. In the end each person was brought into your life for a reason. Don’t punish new people for the mistakes of those who have left. Not every person lost is a loss.
- It’s okay to fail. I wish someone would’ve told me this years ago. I wish I would’ve known this longer. So this is me telling you that no matter what happens, it’s okay to fail. Stop picking yourself apart over mistakes and petty little bullshit. Take a deep breath and don’t ever give up.
- Stop romanticizing teenage heartbreak. Stop glamorizing sadness, mental illness, suicide, eating disorders and self-harm. None of that is beautiful. Our generation will be raising the next one and I know for damn sure you wouldn’t want your eleven year old daughter counting calories.
- Telling someone to be happy will not automatically make them happy. You can’t snap your fingers and expect someone to stop being sad and smile. You need to learn that it’s okay to be sad sometimes and there’s nothing wrong with that. If someone is sad, be there for them don’t make them feel bad for feeling the way they do. Comfort them and eventually, in time, they will be happy again.
- Stop slut shaming. Judging a girl based solely on how many men she’s slept with is bullshit. Your personal life is no one’s goddamn business. Calling a woman a slut because she feel’s she’s ready to have sex and you aren’t is arrogant. Be careful, your jealousy is showing.
- You do not need to have your future planned out. We’re expected to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives while we’re applying to college. How could a seventeen year old possibly know what they want to do five years from now when they can’t even decide what they want for lunch. College isn’t for everyone. If you don’t want to get a degree, get a job instead.
- If you’re having a bad day and you feel like the whole world is against you, I want you to know that I love you. I fucking love you and I know you will succeed. Fuck everyone’s opinion of you, don’t you dare fall into the mindset that you don’t matter because you do. The boy you sat next to in biology, yeah he’s too shy to talk to you. The little girl you saw on the subway tonight, your smile was the first one she’d seen in weeks. You may never know how important you are to the world, to people who you’ve never even met. People like me. You’re destined for greatness, now go get it.
Eighteen things I wish I knew before I turned 18 (via unpoeticheartbreak)
this is very important